The Mesoamerican Women Human Rights Defenders Initiative (IM-Defensoras) is a local to regional alliance of diverse women human rights defenders (WHRDs), organizations and networks. We currently represent over 2,250 WHRDs and 300 organizations from diverse social movements and territories in the region. IM-Defensoras pursues strategies of Feminist Holistic Protection (FHP) at the local, national, and regional level that help sustain efforts of Mesoamerican WHRDs to defend human rights under conditions of security, well-being, strong leadership, and autonomy. We provide WHRDs and their organizations with access to gender-sensitive and timely protection and empowerment resources, tools to combat gender-based and other forms of violence connected to their work.
We operate in five Mesoamerican countries, through national WHRD networks in El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, and Nicaragua, and among allied WHRD organizations in Guatemala.
Overview of Position
IM-Defensoras is seeking an experienced, bilingual (Spanish – English) Senior Finance Manager who will be responsible for managing the full range of IM-Defensoras’ financial operations such as: monthly accounting cycle, budgets and monitoring, funder finances and grant reporting, year end, audit and other related functions.
This is a senior-level, hands-on position requiring an organized and experienced individual who has excellent judgement, problem-solving and analytic skills, can work independently and has experience working in a complex non-profit funding environment. In addition to carrying out day-to-day financial work, the Senior Finance Manager will bring expertise on financial systems, policy, and controls. They will be flexible, adaptable and willing to take on a range of tasks when needed.
IM-Defensoras carries out much of its work virtually, so the successful candidate will bring experience and ease working and communicating online, and be fluent in Spanish and English, both verbal and written communications.
We are seeking applicants who can work four to five days per week, with flexibility for more hours during busy times of the year. Ideally, the Senior Finance Manager will work from a home-based office in Canada or Mesoamerica, but other locations may be considered.
- Manage and carry out a monthly calendar of financial tasks and timelines including overseeing bookkeeping, payroll, budget management, monthly closing, record-keeping and reporting;
- Collaborate on the preparation of quarterly and yearly financial statements, budget and funder reports, and cash flow forecasts;
- Lead ongoing budget monitoring and work with the Co-Directors, resource mobilization and finance staff to actively monitor and understand variances;
- Manage other financial areas such as banking/signing authorities, vendor accounts, credit cards, investments;
- Ensure that activities, expenditures and financial practices are in compliance with IM-Defensoras’ financial policies, controls and accounting standards.
- Work proactively with IM-Defensoras’ staff to coordinate financial information for resource mobilization from a roster of international funders; this work includes grant applications and reports, budget monitoring, and meeting contract obligations;
- Ensure reporting obligations are completed in a timely and accurate fashion;
- Coordinate and review financial reports from IM-Defensoras’ network partners;
- Provide financial analysis as needed – organizational, project and funder-specific – to meet resource mobilization and financial goals.
Financial systems and controls
- Consult and collaborate on procedures and policies to improve IM-Defensoras’ financial and compliance systems;
- Advise Co-Directors and work with staff to proactively identify and mitigate financial and legal risks to the organization and its board members.
- Prepare documents, schedules and supporting information for the annual audit and year end returns;
- Liaise with external auditors as necessary.
- Provide other support as needed and assist with tasks that arise.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a senior-level finance and leadership role; solid understanding of and hands-on experience with full-cycle accounting;
- Extensive experience with non-profit, fund-based budgeting and monitoring, and preparation of funder reports;
- Proven experience as a problem-solver, with good analytical skills, judgment and ability to think strategically; discretion and ability to handle confidential matters;
- Experience using the following software: i) QuickBooks online or other similar accounting software; ii) Excel (intermediate skill level); iii) Proficiency with and understanding of databases; iv) online apps or programs for payments, payroll, expenses, Google suite;
- Strong working knowledge of both Spanish and English; good communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision to meet multiple deadlines, at times under pressure;
- Post-secondary education, preferably in accounting; related courses in financial management, bookkeeping are an asset;
- A commitment to women’s human rights and social justice;
- Experience working with multiple currencies and foreign exchange is an asset;
- Experience in finance policy development and risk assessment is an asset;
- Knowledge of Canadian Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit organizations is an asset.
- Salary to be determined, based on experience, with an allowance for retirement and health benefits. Annual paid leave is also provided. Fee for service arrangement is also possible.
Location: we are looking for a person who could work from home, based in Canada or in a Mesoamerican country.
How to apply?
Please submit a 1-page cover letter and CV in PDF format by March 17, 2023, explaining how you meet the qualifications and outlining why you want to work for IM-Defensoras firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to submit an application after March 17, 2023, please email us to see if the position has been filled.
Please put “Senior Finance Manager” as the subject line of your email.
IM-Defensoras is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from individuals of all backgrounds and abilities. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the interview process.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.