The Mesoamerican Women Human Rights Initiative (IM-Defensoras) is a local to regional alliance of organizations and networks of Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs) in Mexico and Central America, a region gripped by violence and gender discrimination. IM-Defensoras works to strengthen regional strategies and national WHRD networks with gender sensitive holistic resources that enhance Mesoamerican WHRDs’ self-care, protection and safety, and to document, denounce, and give visibility to violence against women defenders in this region. IM-Defensoras works to sustain the rights defense work of Mesoamerican WHRDs in conditions of security, wellbeing, resilience and autonomy. IM-D is registered in Canada as a non-profit organization. To learn more about IM-D and our programs, please visit our website at www.im-defensoras.org
Overview of Position:
IM-D is seeking an experienced, bilingual (Spanish – English) Finance Officer to manage IM-D financial functions and ensure smooth financial operations. This is a new part-time position working three days per week, with more hours during busy periods. Ideally, the Finance Officer will work from their home-based office in any of the following countries: Canada (Toronto or Ottawa preferred), Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador or Nicaragua, but other locations may be considered.
The Finance Officer will work proactively and independently across a range of responsibilities, encompassing areas such as: accounts payable, online banking, monthly accounting processes, budgets and monitoring, funder reports, and other related areas. They will work closely with IM-Defensora’s Co-Executive Directors, financial consultant and other managers.
The Finance Officer will work independently within timelines, and identify issues, problem-solve and suggest solutions if and when issues arise. IM-D carries out much of its work virtually, so the Finance Officer brings experience and ease working and communicating online.
The Finance Officer is functionally bilingual in Spanish and English, in both verbal and written communications.
- Work in compliance with IM-Defensoras’s financial policies, controls and accounting standards;
- Manage and carry out a monthly calendar of financial tasks and timelines including bookkeeping, monthly closing, and reporting:
o Process accounts payables, including coding and authorizations; issue payments through wire transfer platforms;
o Manage receivables, including invoicing and bank deposits;
o Prepare bank, credit card and expense reconciliations;
o Assist with month-end entries and adjustments – e.g. allocations, foreign exchange, prepaids, other;
o Maintain the general ledger with accuracy;
o Maintain accurate records and supporting information for all financial transactions;
o Support monthly financial closing and preparation of financial statements
- Support IM-D staff with providing timely and relevant financial information for resource mobilization, and budget planning and monitoring; prepare budgets and financial reports for funders, as needed;
- Provide analysis and monitor budgets – organizational, project and funder-specific;
- Prepare supporting information for the annual audit and year end returns, and liaise with external auditors as necessary;
- Develop new procedures and policies to improve IM-D’s financial and compliance systems;
- Coordinate and collaborate virtually with IM-D’s staff team, consultants and vendors to carry out responsibilities;
- Provide other support as needed and assist with tasks as required by the Co-Executive Directors.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in carrying out bookkeeping and accounting processes; solid understanding of and hands-on experience with full-cycle accounting;
- Extensive experience with data entry, record keeping, budgeting and monitoring, funder reports;
- Strong detail orientation and thoroughness of work – produces work with few errors;
- Proven experience as a problem-solver, with good analytical skills, judgment and ability to think strategically;
- Experience using the following software: i) QuickBooks online or other similar accounting software; ii) Excel (intermediate skill level); iii) Proficiency with and understanding of databases; iv) online apps or programs for payments, payroll, expenses, Google suite;
- Functionally bilingual in Spanish / English; good communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision to meet multiple deadlines, at times under pressure;
- Strong time management skills, ability to prioritize, multi task and manage change;
- Post-secondary education, preferably in accounting; related courses in financial management, bookkeeping;
- A commitment to women’s human rights and social justice;
- Experience working in the non-profit sector is an asset;
- Leadership experience in financial management is an asset;
- Experience working with multiple currencies and foreign exchange is an asset;
- Knowledge of Canadian Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit organizations is an asset.
Compensation for this position is competitive with an allowance for benefits and paid leave.
How to apply?
Please submit a CV and 1 page cover letter in PDF format, explaining how you meet the qualifications and outlining why you want to work for IM-D to Nubia González, firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15th, 2019. Please put “Finance Officer” as the subject line of your email.
IM-D encourages applicants from equity-seeking groups. We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.